You know when you’re having a conversation with someone and you end up coming to the same question that you both don’t know the answer to? That always happens to my boyfriend and I, and we’ve always wished we could just openly ask the question and someone would answer us.
Today, this became possible for us. (!!)
Our friends at Google were kind enough to send us our very own Google Home to try out. It comes in seven colors, but they sent us the white and grey that perfectly fits the decor of our home. I couldn’t have been more excited about that!
I had no idea the Google home was so small and portable. I envisioned it to be much bigger for some reason, but was pleasantly surprised to that the sleek and modern design accented my living room perfectly.
Set up was extremely easy. The Google Home plugs into a power source and automatically turns on to sync with the Google Home app on your smartphone via WiFi. In about 10 minutes, I had everything synced up and ready to go.
(Psst, that white and grey textured pillow on my couch was a gift from Google too. How fitting, right?) The pups were just as excited to check out our nifty new toy. I thought it would be funny to use Google Assistant to mess around with them:
Apparently Cheebs was not too happy about the cat sounds that were played. ?
My favorite features so far have been:
- Calendar sync – simply being able to ask Google what my day looks like without having to check my calendar on my phone is so convenient
- Shopping lists – too many times has one of us been in the kitchen and asked the other to put something on the list. Now we have a simpler way of keeping track of things we need to buy. PLUS, you can create separate lists, i.e. one for grocery store, one for movies to watch, etc.
- Multiple users – Google Home recognizes different voices and can access data from different people, so if my boyfriend asked to hear what was next on his schedule, Google Assistant can distinguish between his calendar and mine.
- Podcasts – we listen to our favorite DJs religiously so this feature is amazing! Saying “Ok Google, play Heldeep Radio” gave us access to the latest episode. Before Google Home, we had to play a podcast off an app on our smartphones and bluetooth to our speaker system. Now it’s so easy!
- Home – we don’t have an easy way to turn on the lights in our living room because of the positioning of the lamp (it’s all the way tucked behind our couches and past where we store the bike). Now we can walk in and simply say, “Google, turn on the lights.” And of course, vice versa when we leave.
We’re just a few days into the lifestyle of the future, so stay tuned for more updates on our experiences with Google Home. Hopefully one day we’ll be able to buy a place and sync everything with a system like Nest to take full advantage of the Google Home’s features! Have any of y’all tried out any smart assistants?